News

Stay safe near water!

⚠️ Important Announcement and Safety Warning ⚠️

One of our Fabulous Fur Babies, Jess has been seriously ill recently and her owner Mark has asked us to make as many people as we can aware of the dangers of walking around reservoirs. Jess was out with her owners around a week and a half ago, as they often do. She somehow ingested algae from the reservoir water, and has been very ill as a result. Poor Jess has spent a week in the vets, and has lost so much weight the vet has warned Mark not to allow her to do too much until she regains her weight as it could be dangerous. We are so relieved to hear that she is now out of danger, out of the vets, and is beginning to recuperate.

Apologies for such a long post, but we would like to share important information about blue-green algae from Yorkshire Waters website. Please keep your fur babies safe while you’re out and about.

Beware of algae in water

“Blue-green algal blooms and scums sometimes occur naturally on reservoirs and other inland waters. The toxins which may be produced by algae are poisonous to animals and can cause severe illness and death. Farmers and pet owners should ensure that their animals do not have access to affected water. In humans, they can cause rashes after skin contact and severe illnesses if swallowed.

Not all algal blooms are harmful but it’s best to avoid any contact with algae or the water close to it.

During a bloom the water may look green, blue-green or greenish-brown, there may be a musty, earthy or grassy odour and the water may become less clear. Scums can also form on the surface of the water, which may be blue-green, grey-green or greenish-brown and there may also be foaming along the shoreline.

Where blue-green algae is present, or there are warning signs in place, visitors are urged to take the following precautions:

• Do not swim in the water

• Do not swallow the water

• Do not let dogs swim in the water

• Do not let dogs drink the water

• Avoid contact with the algae

• Do not eat fish caught from the water

• Observe and abide by any warning notices positioned around the water

Anyone who has come into contact with water containing blue-green algae should shower with fresh water immediately. Anyone who has come into contact with affected water and has become ill should obtain medical attention.”

Please join us in wishing Jess a speedy and full recovery 💜🐶💜🐶💜